Sisters of Mercy habit Rosary worn on the belt discontinued from the habit in 1966, when a modified look made its debut.
The Sisters of Mercy were founded in Dublin, Ireland by Mother Catherine McAuley in 1831. The Sisters continue to serve humanity in a modern world. The ebony cross didn’t have the typical Corpus or Jesus on the cross but an Ivory inlay, Catherine McAuley believed the Sister would be the invisible image on the cross living her life as Jesus.
The children in Goldenbridge made ‘Irish horn’ rosary beads, whilst the nuns had rosaries with crosses made of ivory. Poor animals had to suffer for the nun’s love of God.